Healthy hair is the icon of every African American. As you probably know, the African American hair has very tightly curled strands that means that they tend to form very tight knots, which if not taken care of, can result in the damaged cuticle.
There are many ways to straighten your hair for a silky and healthy appearance but the most common and simple way is by using heat. As with any other treatment or styling technique, if not done right, you can end up with damaged hair, in this case, heat damage.
There are many heat protectants on the market today, but before you put any applicant on your hair and expose it to heat you want to be sure the product is top quality and will actually provide your hair the desired protection.
Importance of Using Best Beat Protectant for African American Hair
- They form a protective coat between your hair and the heat source ensuring optimum heat protection for your hair coupled with environmental heat damage such as heat from the sun.
- They are not just thermal protectants they will also moisturize your hair doubling its protection.
- They have hair enriching ingredients that nourish your hair to keep it strong and healthy.
- They leave your hair with a sweet smelling natural scent that is not too strong after use.
- They are compatible with vastly different hair types.
What To Look Before Buying
You need to choose the best hair protectants that will suit your unique hair. It is difficult to define which one best suits your hair since it depends on individual preference but here are some things to consider before buying the best heat protectants for African American hair:
- The heat source; that is if you’re going to use a blow dryer or flat iron. For a blow dryer, a conditioning protection mist is enough but for a flat iron, a protectant with more oil is best.
- How often you want to style your hair; if you will be styling your hair regularly you need a protectant with maximum hair protection even at high temperatures.
- The texture of your hair; if you have very fine hair you need a protectant that reduces hold on your hair to the maximum.
- Condition of the hair before using heat (wet or dry); if your hair takes time to dry, a heat protectant spray that can be applied to wet hair is most favorable to you so you don’t have to struggle to dry your hair before styling.
- The style; for a curly style you want a protectant that will be able to maintain the waves for the longest time possible.
Selecting hair protectants that are most beneficial to you can be a hassle, there are a lot of products out there in nice containers but pretty packaging doesn’t guarantee the best results. Here are some of the top heat protectants for African American hair.
HSI PROFESSIONAL Heat Hair Protector
It is designed to replenish, reinvigorate, repair and add shine.
It makes your hair smooth, to ensure your hair remains protected in high heat settings up. Argan oil will make your hair soft and give your hair a gorgeous silky and shiny appearance.
It also moistens your hair so it is ideal for both fine and thick hair as it reduces the chances of breakage. It can be used on both wet and dry hair with the added benefit of being a leave-in conditioner. It is a great choice for hair styling simply because it makes styling easier and provides longer hold. In addition to all that, it is anti-fizz which is a must-have if you’re the type with frizzy hair.Highlighted Features
- Heat protection from high heat settings up to 450 degrees.
- Packed with special ingredients such as Argan oil.
- It has a well-built nozzle spray that ensures full coverage of your hair for effective heat protection.
- It is an anti-frizz formula for frizz free hair.
- It can be used as a leave-in conditioner.
I highly recommend this product especially if you have naturally curly hair and want to straighten it. This product makes it a very easy process and will smooth fizzy hair.
CHI Silk Infusion, 6 fl. Oz
It forms a heat protection barrier which will protect your hair whether you’re using a blow dryer or a straightening iron.
Wheat and soy proteins will smooth your hair and make it strong.
It is alcohol-free with no irritating smells. It moistens your hair and can be used as a leave-in conditioner. It does not cause build-up of oil on your hair and is compatible with all hair types.Highlighted Features
- Infused with pure natural silk.
- Contains wheat and soy proteins.
- It is alcohol-free.
- Forms a thermal protective coating barrier on your hair.
- Moisturizes dry hair.
I will defiantly buy this product anytime. The shine and softness are definitely noticeable, long-lasting and incredibly lightweight.
ArtNaturals Thermal Hair Protector Spray
ArtNaturals Thermal Hair Protector Spray has essential oils that will definitely make your hair smell nice.
It has natural oils such as coconut and Argan oil that smoothen and protect your hair from heat damage.
The end result is a silky and healthy appearance credited to the essential oils it contains. Rosemary extracts help to stimulate hair follicles for longer hair. The oils act as a thermal shield and restrain your hair from losing moisture for more hydrated hair.Highlighted Features
- Contains Argan oil for heat protection and softening hair.
- Contains Rosemary extracts.
- Contains coconut and other essential oils.
- No formulated chemicals, it is made from natural ingredients.
- It is an anti-frizz solution for frizz free hair.
If you’re the type that likes natural products or you have sensitive skin or are very sensitive to scents, I definitely recommend this product because it contains a natural aroma and ingredients that are gentle to the skin and very beneficial to your a hair.
Professional Grade Thermal Protector
It has a nice fragrance that makes your hair smell refreshed. It is lightweight with a thin two-layer technology that will not weigh your hair down.
Argan oil transforms the texture of your hair leaving it with a soft, silky, and smooth finish with a lasting glimmering shine.
It forms a layer of protection that protects your hair from heat damage and repairs existing damage while also preventing breakage and split ends.Highlighted Features
- Contains anti-frizz agent.
- Professional grade heat protection from styling tools.
- Contains Argan Oil.
- Formulated with the Arvazallia signature fragrance.
- It is effective for use on all hair types.
I recommend this product to anyone, especially if you have hair that is prone to breakage or if you already have damaged hair, this will definitely fix your hair.
TRESemmé Thermal Creations Heat Protectant
Its ultra-light formula means you can use it with other favorite products without your hair feeling too greasy.
The vitamins also help to lock in moisture on your hair and nourish hair follicles for stronger and healthier hair. Its well-built nozzle ensures wide coverage of your hair quickly and evenly.
It has a pleasant smell and very affordable thereby the best thermal protectant considering the price. Highlighted Features
- Forms a shield against heat damage on your hair.
- It is lightweight and will not weigh your hair down.
- It contains vitamins for healthy hair.
- Applicable to both wet and dry hair.
- Provides wide coverage of hair in a single spray.
This is a great product for the price. I highly recommend it, especially if you are just trying out a heat protectant for the first time.
When it comes to choosing a heat protectant it is crucial that you choose the right product that guarantees the protection for your hair from styling tools and your health in the long run. Many products on the market might work for the short term but will have unfavorable side effects on your hair and health.
To get the best results, make sure you are using the best products. Our products are top quality and effective which makes them trusted and a favorite for most people.
What to consider when choosing the right hair protectant spray.
- The ingredients of the product.
Make sure it does not have chemicals or ingredients that cause you allergies or health concerns.
- The weight on your hair.
It is always best when your hair doesn’t feel weighed down with products, lightweight heat protectant sprays are best since they don’t make your hair feel too oily.
- It should provide protection in the highest temperature possible.
Although you might not be subjecting your hair to very high heat settings, it is always best if the heat protectant spray you are using is capable of more protection.
- The Smell
If the smell of the heat protectant you are using is overwhelming then it can cause you discomfort, therefore ensuring that you are ok with the smell of the product is key for complete satisfaction.